Dear Sir/Madam

 Do you engage in writing for work? What genre - if any- do you use most? 

Let's discover formal and informal expressions

Business English Writing: Formal or Informal


Instructions: Match the informal phrases (1-15) with the neutral/formal phrases (a-o).                                                     

Informal 
Neutral/Formal
1  What do you need? ____a) With regard to....(or With reference to)


2  Thanks for the email of 12 Feb. ____b) I can assure you that...


3  Sorry, I can't make it. ____c) We note from our records that you have not...


4  I'm sorry to tell you that... ____d) Please let us know your requirements.


5  I promise... ____ e) I was wondering if you could...


6  Could you....? ____f) We would like to remind you that...


7  You haven't.... ____ g) I look forward to meeting you next week.


8  Don't forget... ____
h) Thank you for your email received 12 February.


9  I need to.... ____ i) I am afraid I will not be able to attend.


10 Shall I....? ____ j) Would you like me to...?


11 But... / Also... / So... ____
k) I would be grateful if you could...


12 Please could you... ____l) Please accept our apologies for...


13 I'm sorry for... ____
m) It is necessary for me to...


14 Re... ____ n) We regret to advice you that...


15 See you next week. ____ Answers: 1 d, 2 h, 3 i, 4 n, 5 b, 6 e, 7 c, 8 f, 9 m, 10 j, 11 o, 12 k, 13 l, 14 a, 15 go) However... / In addition... / Therefore...

Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις από αυτό το ιστολόγιο

Informal and Formal English

First encounters

CRYPTOCURRENCIES